08/30 (Tue.) When Women are in Charge (Host: Iris)

回覆文章
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

08/30 (Tue.) When Women are in Charge (Host: Iris)

文章 Iris Wu »

Dear All:

It's my turn to host a meeting, on Tuesday, 8/30. After some struggle and tossing away a few other subjects, finally I settled down on one. It would be nice to see you there if you happen to be free and open for a current events discussion.

Session I:
First, I think we are probably somewhat familiar with these people:
Theresa May (British PM), Angela Merkel (Germany Chancellor), Park Geun-hye (South Korea President), Dilma Rousseff (Brazil President), Aung San Suu Kyi (Myanmar: state counselor), Tsai Ing-Wen, and Hillary Clinton.

They are only part of the world’s female leaders. Like it or not, the trend is clear: more and more women are joining the ranks of leaders in the worlds of business and politics. What is the impact of this trend? Is it a blessing (or a curse :) )? Are there any problems having female commander-in-chief? Do women still have glass ceiling in business and politics? What are the reasons that stop more women running higher office?

[Recommended Article] [Additional Reading: Optional] Session II:
For the second session, I’d like to share with you an emotional speech presented by Michelle Obama in July at the 2016 Democratic National Convention. Of course, you don’t have to be the fan of Hillary Clinton or the Democratic Party to participate in the discussion. I just feel the speech is authentic, elegant and well-presented. For example, there is no mention of the other candidate’s name in the whole speech. Instead, Mrs. Obama uses puns and other hints gracefully broach the subject of Secretary Clinton’s opponent.

Some interesting statements in Michelle Obama’s speech for your reference, just in case you don’t have time to watch the whole speech:
  • • She (Obama) made reference to a speech made by Hillary Clinton when she conceded defeat to Barack Obama in 2008, saying: “We weren’t able to shatter that highest, hardest glass ceiling this time” after a bruising primary campaign.
    Clinton “has the grace and the guts to keep coming back and put cracks in that highest and hardest glass ceiling until she finally breaks through, lifting all of us with her”.

• “So don’t let anyone ever tell you this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again, because this right now is the greatest country on earth,” she said.
    The elegant inversion of Trump’s campaign slogan prompted the crowd to erupt in cheers and wave regal purple placards bearing the name “Michelle”.
    Obama went on: “And as my daughters prepare to set out into the world, I want a leader who is worthy of that truth, a leader who is worthy of my girls’ promise and all our kids’ promise. A leader who will be guided every day by the love and hope and impossibly big dreams that we all have for our children.”

• After a rocky start to the convention, with supporters of Bernie Sanders rebellingover leaked emails, Obama urged Democrats to get to work and recapture the spirit of the past two elections when she was such a force for her husband. “So in this election we cannot sit back and hope that everything works out for the best. We cannot afford to be tired or frustrated or cynical. No, hear me: between now and November, we need to do what we did eight years ago and four years ago.”

• “How we urge them (Obama’s daughters) to ignore those who question their father’s citizenship or faith. How we insist that the hateful language they hear from public figures on TV does not represent the true spirit of this country. How we explain that when someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you don’t stoop to their level. No, our motto is: ‘When they go low, we go high.’”

• “What I admire most about Hillary is that she never buckles under pressure. She never takes the easy way out. And Hillary Clinton has never quit on anything in her life. And when I think about the kind of president I want for my girls and all our children, that’s what I want.

• “I want someone with the proven strength to persevere. Someone who knows this job and takes it seriously. Someone who understands that the issues a president faces are not black and white and cannot be boiled down to 140 characters.”
    That dig at Trump’s tweeting produced another roar from the crowd. “Because when you have the nuclear codes at your fingertips and the military in your command, you can’t make snap decisions. You can’t have a thin skin or tendency to lash out. You need to be steady and measured and well informed.”

[Recommended Speech] [Additional Reading: Optional] Questions:
Session I: The Trends on Women Leadership
1. What do you think about the trend of “Women in charge”? What are the pros and cons of this global trend?

2. Does gender really matter in leadership? Statistically, the ratio of women in leadership role is still low, why aren’t there more female leaders? (What are the reasons that stop women pursuing higher office? What are the barriers to female political leadership?)

3. Do you think Hillary Clinton is an “aggressive woman”? Do you think Donald Trump is an “aggressive man”? Which one is more unbearable? Why? Any gender bias here? Have you seen any "double standard" cases personally?

Session II: A Speech by Michelle Obama
1. What do you like and dislike about this speech? Share your favorite statements in this speech or any speeches related to this Presidential Election.

2. Does this speech make any difference in your opinions of either candidate (Trump and Clinton)? If yes, in what ways? If no, why?

3. Free debate on “United States and the world will be better off if Donald Trump wins the US Presidency”.
Some discussion points for your reference:
  • • Would Donald Trump be/not be a risk as president?
    • Could a Trump presidency soothe/disrupt the world economy?
    • Could a Trump presidency increase/decrease political tensions and lead to global security/insecurity?
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期二聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 08/30 (Tue.) When Women are in Charge (Host: Iris)

文章 Rock »

Iris Wu 寫: 2. Does gender really matter in leadership? Statistically, the ratio of women in leadership role is still low, why aren’t there more female leaders? (What are the reasons that stop women pursuing higher office? What are the barriers to female political leadership?)
My opinion is: generally speaking...
Women are smarter than men. They know that being a leader is not the most important thing in life.
Women don't like conflicts. Being leaders need to deal with conflicts. Women don't enjoy defeating their competitors.
Women are not cruel; they care about their enemies' misery. They won't eradicate the enemies.

On the other hand, there are more and more female leaders. Has the world turned into a nicer place so leaders don't have to be mean, or have women, to the greatest loss of humanity, evolved to be more like men?
頭像
Sharon Lin
文章: 14
註冊時間: 週四 6月 16, 2016 4:54 pm

文章 Sharon Lin »

:shock: what to find in a good leader ...maybe a lot ...
圖檔
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Rock 寫: My opinion is: generally speaking...
Women are smarter than men. They know that being a leader is not the most important thing in life.
Hey, Rock, just because you said so, I think you are one of the smartest men in the world, right next to all the ladies! :)
That is so true, what is the point to be a leader? Women are so great as "backseat drivers", using the invisible hand to run the world. Haha!

You actually hit all the good points. In general, the world is supposedly more peaceful when women are in charge, but are these female leaders playing man's rules to get to where they are? "Iron Lady" means a lady is as tough as a guy, right? When can they really play woman's card right?

Ironically, I have had doubt lately about a more peaceful world when ruled by women because one of our community committee members is such a control freak lady and very manipulative. I started to wonder if she were in charge, how miserable our community would be! It's definitely going to be a curse, not a blessing! :)
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

For an aspect from woman, :D

I do like this topic. :wink:
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

I just learned this:
"Patriarchy": a social system in which adult males hold primary power and predominate in roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege, and control of property. (Wiki)
"The patriarchal bind is that women are told that they should be successful but not too successful; sexy but not too sexy; strong but not too strong, etc. "
(http://www.womboflight.com/the-most-ins ... he-mother/)

I am wondering how this bind is challenged by the global trend that we are talking about? Or you think it is still an unspoken bind in our society?

(Notes: Thanks for Shirley's sharing of this tough to read article!)
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 972
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

文章 Luis Ko »

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/3/14 ... ge-nothing

if the link is to be believed, and now mr. and mrs. Obama praise Hillary to high heaven.. @@

yeah, when it comes to a speech, the speech is good really. and when it comes to elections, it seems those who can make good speeches always win. guess that's why i have problem with Democracy, because at the end of the day, the truth about the speeches is, maybe, the truth is just like what Obama 2008 campaign Ad said about Hillary, say anything and change nothing.

as to Trump, most of what he says might be quite disgusting. but still, they might be also good speeches, if not great, in his supporters eyes haa.. :lol:

seriously, if i agree Trump is an evil person then, Hillary is no better. she might be an evil person as well, just in disguise.. XD

though there indeed is little to choose between them, in my opinion, ok, i would vote for Trump, simply because he dare say something different instead of making "great" speeches haaa.. 8)
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Laura
YOYO member
文章: 351
註冊時間: 週二 12月 16, 2003 10:28 am

文章 Laura »

These two days, letting my mind rest  in
my spare time :twisted: at work.

I have read some articles from 。。。
Rock . Christina . Iris 。。。, their
hosting/topics only could use words
太~強~啦 :D to explain my thoughts in
perfect interpretation.

Hopefully I might be a host :mrgreen: for early of
Oct.(Sat.) if hosting schedule would
be no candidate!

ps. Have Tom(president)/Tashi(vice president) heard me?! :oops:
The best teacher is child,
the worst mistake for one is to abandon oneself,
the greatest treasure in the world is love!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Luis Ko 寫:
though there indeed is little to choose between them, in my opinion, ok, i would vote for Trump, simply because he dare say something different instead of making "great" speeches haaa.. 8)
Same as Michael. But Trump seems like a more blatant racist. (Though we could be racists, too.) :shock:
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1486
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Last week we talked about social structures of different primates, like patriarchal chimpanzees and matriarchal bonobos. It seems like both biology and environment play a role in dominance style. Similarly, although most human societies are currently male-dominated, this may change in a living environment where there is plenty of food and few threats from other species, just like bonobos.
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Rock 寫:
Luis Ko 寫:
Same as Michael. But Trump seems like a more blatant racist. (Though we could be racists, too.) :shock:

yeah, right. racist is not good, but just like what you said, we all could be racists. the thing is Trump lets you know he seems to be/is a racist so, if you like him, you like him. if you don't, you don't. at least you know what kind of person he really is so that you make the decision. it's better than that someone makes you think they are nice people so that you like them then, you suddenly find out they actually are racists in disguise.. XD

by the way, i have to admit i don't know the world will be better off or not if Trump wins. however, the US might be, i say might be, who knows. but then again, has Obama made the world or America better off? how about Bill Clinton? George Bush or George W. Bush? i don't know either. 8)

furthermore, Trump is a president would-be, not an Emperor to-be. there should be democratic mechanisms he has to obey and follow if he wins the presidency. i don't like those who pro democracy say about how bad the situation will be, potential dictatorship looming kind of situation or what, if he wins. it's even said should Trump be the president(and give an order to launch nuclear weapon or what), there might be military coup. it seems they hail democracy only when the situation goes their way. if someone like Trump wins the election, they seem not to trust it. they hail democracy, but they don't seem to believe it. that's.. ok, anyways, it's not my business lo~ since i, myself, question democracy as well.. :drink:
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Luis Ko 寫:furthermore, Trump is a president would-be, not an Emperor to-be. there should be democratic mechanisms he has to obey and follow if he wins the presidency.
That is right. Democratic system is supposedly "rule of law". It is not "rule of men", so the whole country is supposedly less impacted by a "bad" leader. But everything is relative, this is only when comparing to dictatorship countries. A leader in a democratic system will still impact the execution process a lot. Democratic election and campaign is very time-consuming and resource-wasting process, nobody likes it, but that seems the only way they think they can "fairly" appeal to people. It would be nice if someday people find a better way to replace this process. I am not sure people said they don't like "democracy" is because they don't like the process or they don't like the system itself?
Iris Wu
YOYO member

文章 Iris Wu »

Meeting Attendants:
Ryan
Laura
Tashi
Jason Huang (newcomer)
Sherry
Kat
Jessie
Morris
Steve
Dan Balaban
Sophie
Carmen
Ketty (visitor)
Shirley
Yvonne
Jason Yu
Sophia (visitor)
Wen-han
Rosie
Connie (visitor)
Andre's
Kooper
Host: Iris

Thank you for your participation!
Luis Ko
YOYO member

文章 Luis Ko »

Iris Wu 寫:
Luis Ko 寫:furthermore, Trump is a president would-be, not an Emperor to-be. there should be democratic mechanisms he has to obey and follow if he wins the presidency.
That is right. Democratic system is supposedly "rule of law". It is not "rule of men", so the whole country is supposedly less impacted by a "bad" leader. But everything is relative, this is only when comparing to dictatorship countries. A leader in a democratic system will still impact the execution process a lot. Democratic election and campaign is very time-consuming and resource-wasting process, nobody likes it, but that seems the only way they think they can "fairly" appeal to people. It would be nice if someday people find a better way to replace this process. I am not sure people said they don't like "democracy" is because they don't like the process or they don't like the system itself?

hi~ Iris, you are probably right about it but, since i'm cynical and sceptical, i dislike both haaa~ :lol:
回覆文章