4/25(Sat) What HR People Won't Tell You About ... (Leon)

回覆文章
頭像
Leon
YOYO member
文章: 256
註冊時間: 週日 5月 30, 2004 9:55 am

文章 Leon »

This is recycled topic which is presented by Kooper before.

What HR People Won’t Tell You About Your Resume and Job Interview

Human resource pros tell you some resume tips and shared what to do—and what not to do—when meeting to discuss an employment opportunity.

1. “When it comes to getting a job, who you know really does matter. No matter how nice your résumé is or how great your experience may be, it’s all about connections.” –HR director at a health-care facility

2. “If you’re trying to get a job at a specific company, often the best thing to do is to avoid HR entirely. Find someone at the company you know, or go straight to the hiring manager.” –Shauna Moerke, an HR administrator in Alabama who blogs at hrminion.com

3. “People assume someone’s reading their cover letter. I haven’t read one in 11 years.” –HR director at a financial services firm

4. “We will judge you based on your e-mail address. Especially if it’s something inappropriate like kinkyboots101@hotmail.com or johnnylikestodrink@gmail.com.”

5. “If you’re in your 50s or 60s, don’t put the year you graduated on your résumé.”

6. “There’s a myth out there that a résumé has to be one page. So people send their résumé in a two-point font. Nobody is going to read that.”

7. “I always read résumés from the bottom up. And I have no problem with a two-page résumé, but three pages is pushing it.”

8. “Most of us use applicant-tracking systems that scan résumés for key words. The secret to getting your résumé through the system is to pull key words directly from the job description and put them on. The more matches you have, the more likely your résumé will get picked and actually seen by a real person.”

9. “Résumés don’t need color to stand out. When I see a little color, I smirk. And when I see a ton of color, I cringe. And walking in and dropping off your resume is no longer seen as a good thing. It’s actually a little creepy.”

10. “It’s amazing when people come in for an interview and say, ‘Can you tell me about your business?’ Seriously, people. There’s an Internet. Look it up.”

11. “A lot of managers don’t want to hire people with young kids, and they use all sorts of tricks to find that out, illegally. One woman kept a picture of two really cute children on her desk even though she didn’t have children [hoping job candidates would ask about them]. Another guy used to walk people out to their car to see whether they had car seats.”

12. “Is it harder to get the job if you’re fat? Absolutely. Hiring managers make quick judgments based on stereotypes. They’re just following George Clooney’s character in Up in the Air, who said ‘I stereotype. It’s faster.’”

13. “I once had a hiring manager who refused to hire someone because the job required her to be on call one weekend a month and she had talked in the interview about how much she goes to church. Another candidate didn’t get hired because the manager was worried that the car he drove wasn’t nice enough.”

14. “Don’t just silence your phone for the interview. Turn it all the way off.”

15. “If you’ve got a weak handshake, I make a note of it.”

16. “If you’re a candidate and the hiring manager spends 45 minutes talking about himself, the company or his Harley, let him. He’s going to come out of the interview saying you’re a great candidate.”

Source: Reader's Digest Asia http://www.rdasia.com/what-hr-people-wo ... -interview

Questions for Discussion
Session One:
1. Job applicants might get rejected for various reasons – some of them could be trivial, ridiculous, or out of stereotype. What is the weirdest reason of rejection that you’ve ever heard of or encountered in job interview?

2. The first two tips claim that connection plays a bigger role in helping you land a job than everything else. Do you agree? Have you ever applied for or got a job through referral? Did referral made by insiders make your interview easier or make it more likely for you to be accepted by the company?

3. How much do you go along with the tips here about resume and interview? Other than these, do you have private tips?

Session Two:
4. The article listed several mistakes interviewees made. What other behavior that we should avoid in interview? Did you ever make such mistakes and lose job opportunities?

5. HR people get tones of resumes every day. It’s inevitable for them to develop certain personal rules to quickly filter out unqualified applicants. That’s where stereotype steps in. List out a few stereotypes that could commonly exists in the hiring people’s mind. If you happen to fit one of the stereotypes, what will you do to improve your prospect?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
3:45 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:15pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
5:15 ~ 5:55pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:請準時 4:00 pm 到 ~ 約 6:30 pm 左右結束
星期六聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備2~3分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表1~2分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以5到10句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
When all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 894
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 4/25(Sat) What HR People Won't Tell You About ... (Leon)

文章 Iris Wu »

host: Leon/Steve (Thanks, Steve, for being the substitute host!)
Attendees: Ethan (New comer), Robert, Emily, Maggie, Catherine, Carrie, Christine, Jason, Shirley, Stacy, Sabrina, Ryu, Iris, Tom, Luis

A couple words/expressions used in the discussion:
- Overqualified, overconfident(=overly confident)
- The signs of Zodiac, the 12 zodiacal constellations (星座)
- Job Hopper/Job Hopping: changing jobs frequently
- Dress code: a set of rules about what clothing may and may not be worn at a school, office, restaurant, etc.
回覆文章