4/15(Tue)Virtual VS Face-to-Face Classrooms(Host:Liwen)

回覆文章
頭像
liwen
YOYO member
文章: 57
註冊時間: 週日 10月 04, 2009 10:20 am

4/15(Tue)Virtual VS Face-to-Face Classrooms(Host:Liwen)

文章 liwen »

4/15(Tue.)Can virtual classrooms beat face-to-face interaction?(Host:Liwen )
Hello, dear yoyos! I am Liwen Chen. I will be the host for the gathering on Tuesday night and hope you will have a cheerful discussion on this topic.

Can virtual classrooms beat face-to-face interaction?
Source: http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... e-learning

Studying online doesn't have to mean being isolated behind a computer screen – there are plenty of ways to connect with your course mates and tutors.
For most students, university is a time for making friends, discovering a new city and making the most of the facilities on campus. But when you are studying online, your living room is your lecture hall and an online chat room is the equivalent of the student bar.

Can a computer screen make up for human interaction, and how can distance learning students avoid isolation?

If you are choosing to study online, chances are you have other commitments – work, children or other caring responsibilities – and you may be studying for purely academic reasons. The benefits of flexible study can outweigh the downside of not meeting people in real life.

But being part of an online community when studying at a distance is important, says Richard Reece, associate vice-president for teaching, learning and students at the University of Manchester.

He says: "Academically, support from other learners is as important on campus as it is off campus. We encourage students who are on campus to form peer-assisted study schemes. We do the same for distance learning students as well."

Online forums, Facebook groups and email lists with the contact details for other students can help online learners connect with their peers and ask questions about their studies.

Reece says: "It really benefits the learners if they have a sense of community rather than feeling like an isolated person tapping away at a computer."

Instead of tutorials or lectures, support from lecturers comes through online forums, email exchanges, phone conversations and Skype.

Tony Priest is course director for the foundation degree in drug and alcohol counseling at the University of Leicester and says his course uses "e-tutors" to support students.

He says: "Each e-tutor has a certain number of students who they follow through their comments on the discussion boards and answer their questions. They'll also contact them if they don't appear for a while and ask if they have problems and how they can help."

It might seem a little impersonal not meeting your tutor in real life, but distance learning students can sometimes have even more support than campus students, says Reece.

He says: "I would say that there are some things that you do need face-to-face interaction for, but our distance learning students do have significant access to teaching staff. In a number of cases they get even greater amounts of contact than students who are on campus and come in for a few scheduled lectures but not much more."

Amy Woodgate, project coordinator of distance education initiative and Moocs at the University of Edinburgh, agrees.

She says: "People tend to think that online learning is very detached and less of a community. It has a remote aspect so people think it is remote. But actually with online earning, students have something in common so build up good relationships."

Distance learning students can use online forums as a chance to meet their peers socially, but it can be difficult to replicate real life interactions.

"One of the biggest challenges for distance learning students is engagement with other peers," says Steve Mills, student president for education welfare at Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen.

He says: "A big part of the student experience is meeting new people, making friends, joining societies and having social events, but distance learning students don't get to experience that, so it is very academic for them."

Some distance learning courses do include an element of time on campus, and making the most of these moments to meet other students is important.

Forums and social networks are there to help connect students with their peers, but it is important to know that as a distance learning student you still have access to university support too.

"The principal that we try to work on is that the support should be the same for distance learning students as it is for campus students," says Reece. "most of our students are studying abroad though, so obviously they can't just walk into our office and ask for help. But our services are available online and on the phone too."

Students' unions work on behalf of distance learning students too, and getting involved with your union could really help improve your life as an online student.

Mills says: "Our student helpline is there for online students, and we also deal with problems from distance learning students via Facebook and Twitter. And importantly, distance learning students have access to student counselors via Skype."

You might not be able to walk into a counselor's office as an online student, but the support is still there, and making the most of it can make all the difference to your experience of online learning.

Top tips for distance learning students
• Make the most of online forums and social networks to meet other students and ask for help.

• Set yourself deadlines to help keep yourself motivated.

• Become a student rep. Student reps work on behalf of their peers and most universities have distance learning representatives. Being a rep is a great way to engage with your peers and see changes made to any issues you may have with your course.

• Even if you are short on time and not necessarily looking to make lots of new friends, making connections on your course can be a good networking opportunity, particularly if you are studying a business course.

Questions for discussion:
Session One:

Q1. Have you ever tried online studying for a short-term education or a formal degree? Please share your experiences about online studying to your group.

Q2. As a student’s concern, what are the advantages and disadvantages of distance learning?

Q3. As people are becoming more receptive to new ways and methods of learning, distance education is gaining more followers. However, some people still believe in classroom learning. What kinds of courses do you think are difficult when studying through the Internet?

Session Two:
Q4. Classroom learning allows students to meet different kinds of people. It gives them the opportunity to learn about different cultures. This will not happen in a distance learning course. What do you think?

Q5. After comparing online studying and classroom studying, which will make a difference in an employee’s’ work capability? Assuming you were an employer, do you care about it?

Q6. Check for “Tutor ABC” online English courses. Do you think it is an effective way for English learning? Compared studying in the Tutor ABC’s English program and learning English at Yoyo, which one do you like more?

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements
********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期三聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
頭像
liwen
YOYO member

Re: 4/15(Tue)Virtual VS Face-to-Face Classrooms(Host:Liwen)

文章 liwen »

每次發表文章都會遇到「主題過長」的問題,本次的主題應該是4/15(Tue.)Can virtual classrooms beat face-to-face interaction?(Host:Liwen ),但是整句根本擠不進去主題框,只好縮短主題字數。
自知是屬於電腦白癡,誰可以告訴我該怎麼處理? :cccry:
Stephen
文章: 91
註冊時間: 週三 8月 11, 2004 2:37 pm
來自: Hsinchu

文章 Stephen »

Liwen,

這是forum使用的phpBB系統的限制, 預設po文標題最長60個字, 必須修改網站的程式才能超過.

Regards,
Stephen Chu
Tina Sun
YOYO member
文章: 414
註冊時間: 週三 10月 02, 2013 3:23 pm

文章 Tina Sun »

但是太長好像也不太適合當標題齁?
60加長為80 如何 ?
Sherry Liao
YOYO member
文章: 1483
註冊時間: 週五 12月 07, 2007 12:15 pm

文章 Sherry Liao »

Just like “complex numbers” make math more interesting, when it comes to education, I think we also need “real teachers” and “imaginary teachers” to diversify our learning experiences.

頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

This imaginary teacher is super funny. I guess it's actually more difficult than It looks. :D
Tina Sun
YOYO member

文章 Tina Sun »

so COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanna learn how to do that..... OMG!!!
頭像
liwen
YOYO member

文章 liwen »

Attendance: (13)
Cindy, Sherry , JD, Stephen , Liwen(host), Julian , Luis, Morris, Rock, Sabrina, Tina,Wenhan , & Claire

Speakers
Session I: Tina, Morris, & Stephen
Session II: Sabrina, Sherry & Rock
Tina Sun
YOYO member

文章 Tina Sun »

Regarding the on-line education "COURSERA" we mentioned on Tue night, you may check out TEDTalks "What we're learning from on line education" and you will know better. The speaker is Daphne Koller, the founder of Coursera.
http://www.ted.com/talks/daphne_koller_ ... _education

And here's the website of Coursera.
https://www.coursera.org/
Select what you are interested in and have fun studying again. XDDD

I definitely will choose one course to study again in coming future. :ssmile:
附加檔案
I earned 85.4% XDDDD
I earned 85.4% XDDDD
我的Coursera課程所得到的Certificate ~
我的Coursera課程所得到的Certificate ~
Tina Sun
YOYO member

文章 Tina Sun »

Additionally, there is an institute called Effortless English Club. And the founder named Dr. J. Marvin Brown. He has his own concept on how to study English well. And there are seven rules he proposed.
FYI. I have the MP3 file for Each rule and other stuff of his saying. If you are interested, I can give you. Just let me know.

Basically, I think he is too paranoid about school system even I agree some of his statements. I was truly a victim while studying English at school. :ccry:
附加檔案
Rule 5.pdf
(32.06 KiB) 已下載 425 次
Rule 6.pdf
(32.95 KiB) 已下載 440 次
Rule 7.pdf
(32.15 KiB) 已下載 439 次
Tina Sun
YOYO member

文章 Tina Sun »

Rule 2-4
附加檔案
Rule 2.pdf
(29.91 KiB) 已下載 462 次
Rule 3.pdf
(33 KiB) 已下載 463 次
Rule 4.pdf
(30.72 KiB) 已下載 432 次
Tina Sun
YOYO member

文章 Tina Sun »

FYI.
附加檔案
Learn Like Children.pdf
(54.68 KiB) 已下載 322 次
Rule 1.pdf
(31.19 KiB) 已下載 473 次
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

Words & Expressions 0415 2014

即席表演:impromptu performance
空中大學:Open University
科任老師:subject teacher
兼任教授:part-time professor
級任老師:homeroom teacher
專任教授:full-time professor
零碎的時間:scattered time
鳳眼:an eye with a turned-up outer corner.
敷衍了事:play at doing something, muddle through one’s work, give something a lick and promise, half-hearted about one’s work work, negligently finish up a matter, slipshod in work, go through the motions, do something in a perfunctory manner, gloss things over, finish a o carelessly
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2725
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

"It really benefits the learners if they have a sense of community rather than feeling like an isolated person tapping away at a computer."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I really like about YoYo is the sense of English learning community it brings to me. Even though I don’t show up often these days, I still feel deeply attached through the forum. :sun: Thanks Tina (Stephen, and all the active participants) for revitalizing it!!! :cccry:
Tina Sun
YOYO member

文章 Tina Sun »

The honor and pleasure are all mine. I enjoy sharing English related information to those who have the same interest and passion about English like me. :ssmile:
And I've learnt a lot through YoYo as well...
回覆文章