3/25(Tue.) Will The Devil Baby Haunt Your Dreams? (Host:JD)

回覆文章
Luis Ko
YOYO member
文章: 970
註冊時間: 週三 6月 06, 2007 10:18 pm

3/25(Tue.) Will The Devil Baby Haunt Your Dreams? (Host:JD)

文章 Luis Ko »

Will The Devil Baby Haunt Your Dreams? (Host:JD /Jim-dandy)

Session I:
Please take a look at the web page http://mashable.com/2014/01/14/baby-prank/ and watch the video. It’s about a devil baby prank in the streets of New York city. It may be a bit disturbing but it really is an unconventional marketing campaign for the scary movie “Devil's Due”.

Devil Baby Will Haunt New Yorkers' Dreams
Warning: Devil baby in the video actually will haunt your dreams.
A hilarious (and disturbing) remote-controlled "Devil Baby" took to the streets of NYC in a viral marketing campaign for upcoming horror movie Devil's Due. The movie is slated to debut this Friday, Jan. 17.

The YouTube video shows a pint-sized demon child roaming the streets of New York in a carriage, seemingly by itself. When concerned citizens approach the carriage, the robot-baby look-alike jumps up and lets out a blood curdling scream that's fitting for any horror movie. The ultra-realistic child also chases people down the street, projectile vomits, and flips off the police. The reactions are priceless, though, as with any viral video, there's a good chance that they're also staged.

Viral marketing pranks have become increasingly popular over the last few years, especially in horror movies. In October, creators of the classic horror flick Carrie staged a telekinetic prank in a coffee shop as promotion for their new remake.

Questions and discussion:

1. What feelings does the devil-baby elicit in you? Do you think it will give you nightmares, or is it just good for laughs?

2. If you were one of those victims who was seriously scared by the devil-baby, would you say or do any differently? Do you really think all those concerned citizens’ reactions are staged? Why or why not?

3. Are you a curious person? What would you do if you saw something unusual or bizarre in the street? Would you be eager to get to the bottom of it? 4. The devil baby prank is actually a viral or guerilla marketing campaign for the scary movie “Devil's Due”. Do you think this kind of marketing campaign would do the trick and successfully promote the product?

==========================================================================================

Session II:

A cafe for the freelance nation
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... e/5583025/

By 2020, 40 percent of America's workforce will be freelancing, contracting or temping, and they're going to need some "coffice" space.

Every freelancer knows the fear: You're in a café, pretending to sip the slimy dregs of a cappuccino while you finish your story, proposal or spreadsheet. Every time the barista comes around to clear tables, you stare at your shoes. Sure, you've been nursing a single cup of coffee for three hours, but doesn't he or she know how hard it is to find reliable Wi-Fi?

The pay-as-you-go "coffice," which sells time and space instead of coffee and cake, could be the answer. The concept behind Ziferblat, the U.K.'s first pay-per-minute café, is surprisingly simple: Customers clock in on arrival and pay a nickel a minute for as long as they stay. The coffee and Wi-Fi are both complimentary, and you can work for as long as you like — entirely guilt-free.

Why didn't anyone think of this sooner? Well, it seems that they did — Ziferblat, which started in 2011, opened nine Russian branches and one in the Ukraine before breaking into Western Europe. Urban Station, which originated in Buenos Aires in 2009, runs along similar lines to Ziferblat, but it's designed exclusively for freelancers, mobile workers and entrepreneurs. They offer desk spaces by the hour for between $2.50 and $4.50 — and unlimited monthly hours for $225. What's more, there's free coffee and snacks, and meeting rooms are available for hire. With coffices already established in Argentina, Mexico, Colombia, Chile and Turkey, Urban Station's aim is to become a global network of affordable, collaborative pay-as-you-go workspaces.

"We believe that we provide a differentiated service," says Florencia Faivic, one of the owners of Urban Station. "We are flexible in [terms of] hours, services and offering."

You might ask why Starbucks and the other coffee giants haven't already adopted this model, and the answer is pretty simple: It's not profitable enough. Ziberflat, which charges three pence a minute in Shoreditch, one of London's trendiest districts, works hard to survive, let alone thrive. By selling one skinny soy latte to go, Starbucks makes double what Ziferblat does in an hour. But unlike Big Coffee, the flexible workplace movement is not primarily profit-driven. Indeed, Ziferblat and Urban Station could be described as social enterprises. "We treat our clients in a special way as part of our philosophy: Enjoy working differently," Faivic says.

Maybe this is why, from Bogotá to Istanbul, emerging economies have been the early adopters of this trend, while big Western cities have been surprisingly slow on the uptake. The traditional 9-to-5 office culture is firmly established in Western cities, but emerging economies rely more heavily on small-scale entrepreneurs with budgets so tight that even the cost of a hot desk could halt the operation in its tracks.

In addition to affordability — and free chips — Urban Station and Ziferblat facilitate innovation, independence and flexibility. Not only do clients have access to cheap professional space, but they also benefit from having a diverse pool of potential collaborators.

If pay-per-minute joints start popping up in U.S. cities, they could do a lot more than relieve the stress of sipping a cold cappuccino until you finish that project. They could also contribute to an eclectic community of freelance and mobile workers by offering them a guilt-free space to work, network and, as Ziferblat puts it, "create something interesting."

Questions and discussion:

1 How much do you know about freelancers? If you could choose to be either a freelancer or a white-collar worker, which would be your choice? Why?

2.How many cups of joe do those freelancers or mobile workers have to buy to justify sitting in a conventional café all day? What do you think about that?

3.Do you think the pay-as-you-go “coffice” will also be popular here in Taipei? Why or why not?

4. What's your idea of social enterprises? Would a pay-as-you-go café qualify as a social enterprise? Have you heard of any social enterprise here in Taiwan? Share some good ideas about it with your group members.

********************************************************************************************************************************************
Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:50pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
7:50 ~ 8:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
8:10 ~ 8:25pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 10 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:25 ~ 9:05pm Discussion Session (40 mins)
9:05 ~ 9:25pm Summarization (20 mins)
9:25 ~ 9:30pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements ********************************************************************************************************************************************
聚會日期:列於該貼文主題內
聚會時間:當天請準時於 6:45 pm 到達 ~ 約 9:30 pm 左右結束
星期三聚會地點:丹堤濟南店
地址、電話:台北市濟南路三段25號 地圖 (02) 2740-2350
捷運站:板南線 忠孝新生站 3 號出口
走法:出忠孝新生站 3 號出口後,沿著巷子(忠孝東路三段10巷)走約 2 分鐘,到了濟南路口,左轉走約 2 分鐘即可看到。
最低消費: 80 元

注意事項:
1. 文章是否需要列印請自行斟酌,但與會者請務必自行列印 Questions for discussion。
2. 與會者請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!

給新朋友的話:
1. 請事先準備 2~3 分鐘的英語自我介紹;會議結束前可能會請你發表 1~2 分鐘的感想。
2. 請事先閱讀文章以及主持人所提的討論問題,並事先寫下自己所欲發表意見的英文。
3. 全程以英語進行,參加者應具備中等英語會話能力,對任一討論問題,能夠以 5 到 10 句英文表達個人見解。
4. 在正式加入之前,可以先來觀摩三次,觀摩者亦須參與討論。正式加入需繳交終身會費 NT$1,000。
i might be a cynic and, a sceptic as well but, i'm definitely not a bad person!!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

Re: 3/25(Tue.) Will The Devil Baby Haunt Your Dreams? (Host:JD)

文章 Rock »

1. I'd definitely sue this disgusting baby 'cause it's shocked my shit out. Too scary!! :shock:
2. We have had this cafe already, and we offer comic books and computers, too. It should be us who export this business to the US.
jimdandy
YOYO member
文章: 32
註冊時間: 週四 9月 10, 2009 10:08 am

文章 jimdandy »

Hi Rock, You bet! The devil baby gave me the creeps too! But, luckily I was constipated then, it failed to scare the crap out ouf me. Haaa....... :lol:
Hope to see you tomorrow night so we can have fun talking and know more about your brilliant ideas.
You Rock!
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Sure, I will be there, boss.
jimdandy
YOYO member

文章 jimdandy »

Turnout: 18
Cindy, Claire, Ian, Ivy, JD, Kris, Luis, Michael, Mike, Morris, Rock, Subrina, Steve, Tina, Vincent, Wayne,Wen-Han, Wendy

Kudos to you guys & Happy birthday to Claire!
Tina Sun
YOYO member
文章: 414
註冊時間: 週三 10月 02, 2013 3:23 pm

文章 Tina Sun »

It should be "Sabrina"~~ XD

Happy☻໌*✰☻ັBirthday☆+。:.゚ to Claire~~~~~~~ ∩__∩y
jimdandy
YOYO member

文章 jimdandy »

Whoops…. Haste causes errors. Thank you Tina!

By the way, here's something I learned:
**Bite your tongue / lip: to stop yourself from saying something because it would be better not to, even if you would like to say it. Ex: I really wanted to tell her what I thought of him but I had to bite my tongue.

**Bite the bullet: to accept something difficult and try to live with it. Ex1: You are just going to have to bite the bullet and make the best of it. Ex2:Jim bit the bullet and accepted what he knew had to be.

**See red: to become angry. Ex: Some Internet customers are seeing red as a result of the new virus that slowed Web traffic last week.

**Talking nonsense, or saying something nonsensical / absurd / ridiculous.

**Honor system : a system in which people are trusted to follow rules and to act in an honest way.

**The critically acclaimed film bombed at the box office. / The film bombed at the box office but received great reviews from both movie critics and moviegoers. 「叫好不叫座」.

**A shameless person 沒品之人; A mean / low-down / shameful /despicable act 沒品行為

**Names of three recent movies and some famous Hollywood celebrities: 1.Devil’s due《惡靈嬰弒》 2.Non stop《空中救援》Liam Neeson / Julianne Moore 3.Blue Jasmine《藍色茉莉》Woody Allen / Cate Blanchett / Alec Baldwin
頭像
Wayne
文章: 1500
註冊時間: 週四 5月 13, 2004 10:53 am
來自: Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章 Wayne »

jimdandy 寫: **A shameless person 沒品之人; A mean / low-down / shameful /despicable act 沒品行為
a shameless person:無恥之徒
沒品味之人:a tasteless person
沒品之人: a despicable person...
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
Wayne

Re: 3/25(Tue.) Will The Devil Baby Haunt Your Dreams? (Host:

文章 Wayne »

Attendance: 20
Cindy, Claire, Ian, Ivy, JD (host), Luis, Kris, Luis, Michael, Mike, Morris, Rock, Ryan, Sabrina, Steve, Tina, Vincent, Wayne, Wendy & Wen-han

Speakers
Session I: Cindy, Luis, Rock, Tina, & Vincent
Session II; Claire, Ivy, Kris, & Rock
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
頭像
Wayne

Re: 3/25(Tue.) Will The Devil Baby Haunt Your Dreams? (Host:

文章 Wayne »

Words & Expressions 0325 2014